Pages

Chesspiece

At the end of the chess board.


This is piece is based off the rule of chess that when a pawn reaches the end of your opponent's side you can return your vanquished queen. The pawn though a generally the weakest piece, can become the most powerful and one of the most precious pieces of the game, the queen. I wanted it to seem to have the meaning of even when you are the weakest you can overcome the odds-shown in my drawing by the decaying chess board and vortex in the background-and become one of the most powerful and important piece in the end.

I used negative space to give it a darker feel, using the bold lines and the shading to make it seem like it was being pulled into the vortex as the pawn reached the end of the chess board. Though I struggled to keep my values in balance, and also keeping my piece in balance with itself, I was able to achieve it using the background, I also had problems trying to make my lines look purposeful.

I am pleased on how it turned out, the sinking feeling of the picture and the small fragility of the pawn, also the shading turned out better than I had hoped.

0 comments: