Pages

"Consumerism" Photography Series


Theme I have chosen for my BW+1 photography series is "Consumerism" but rather than using the general idea of consumerism - which is shopping - I wanted to look at consumerism as something that consumes someone - something that consumes your thoughts and feelings etc.
Artistic Question Uno:  How can I express the theme Black and White + One through photo-based artwork?
  • To represent the theme of Black and White + One through my idea of Consumerism is the idea of black and white being the surface of a person i.e. what one can see at a glance. For the "+ one" I wanted to represent that by having their makeup done in a way to represent the "consuming aspect" and/or photoshop overtop  of the person and have that represent what is consuming you, it would be like adding color to the black and white to create more depth - so going past the surface. (for examples of how the makeup would work is reference two and three)
Artistic Question Dos: How can I explore using the medium of photography in a way that stretches my current knowledge and understanding AND suits my interpretation of the theme?
  • To stretch my knowledge in the medium of photography I will be using a mix of fashion photography - which is defined by having the subject's style (clothing, makeup etc.) emphasized as well as the idea of using a non-realistic setting for it rather than casual surroundings, also it requires a controlled lighting situation. I will also be using some elements from portrait photography - mostly the technique of butterfly lighting. (reference one for the style)



0 comments: